9 New Year's Resolutions To Run Your Home Smoothly in 2021
The year has just kicked off, and if you’re like most people, you may have planned your resolutions for yourself before the year started. But what about having resolutions for your home? Isn’t it a good idea to have a separate set of resolutions for your home knowing that at this point, many of us are encouraged to stay at our own homes most of the time?
We can’t deny it. Our plans for 2021 will be a lot different from what they used to be — the same thing with your resolutions. That’s why this year, a renewed focus on your home is a good thing as a top priority of every homeowner. We’ve created this list to help you run your home smoothly this 2021:
#1: Declutter room by room
Reducing the amount of clutter in your home is one of the best and least expensive ways to make your house look and feel clean and comfortable. Clearing out your entire house of clutter at once can be an overwhelming task, so do it room by room.
- Decide on what room you and your family use the most and need your attention.
- And when you decide on the room, work on it piece by piece - for example, in the kitchen, start with the pantry, then the cupboards and drawers.
- Purge anything that you don’t use or wear and donate these preloved items to charity.
Too much clutter makes a property look dated and a bit grubby. It’s also hard to find the things you usually use. Homes are just more usable when they’re less crammed.
#2: Provide storage bins in every room
After decluttering items into your rooms, make sure to provide storage bins or baskets to maintain an organised space.
- Group similar items and gather them.
- Try storage bins in shelves, linen closet storage baskets, cleaning supply baskets, kitchen counter baskets, bathroom storage bins, and many more.
#3: Create and organise your workspace
It’s probably long overdue, but this may still help you reorganise your old workspace or create it if you haven’t done it before.
- Create a space where you’ll get into work mode. An ideal is a room where it has a door that you can close and lock.
- Source an ergonomic desk and chair that will make you feel comfortable and tech tools that will help you get more productive.
- Find a user-friendly way to file your papers and other important docs. You can get an expanding file envelope, folders, document letter tray organiser or simply purchase a filing cabinet. You can mark each one with categories if you want.
#4: Cut your energy use
You’re staying home most of the time, and you probably see an increase in your power usage. And of course, you don’t want it to stay that way.
Use energy-efficient light bulbs and invest in smart home appliances like a thermostat, home dehumidifiers, refrigerators, dishwashers, and robot vacuums that are programmable to power off when needed and conserve more energy than other traditional appliances. Not only are they beneficial for your home, but they’ll also help you save money too.
#5: Do regular safety checks
A safe one is more important than a beautifully designed home. Ensure that you and your family members are safe by doing regular safety checks. Schedule it at least once a month or quarterly and have your checklist with you while you make rounds.
Electrical Cords and Outlets
- Check for frayed wires.
- Follow the path of cords.
- Consider adding electrical outlets where you currently rely on extension cords.
- Check for a faulty electrical system.
- Don’t overload any one outlet.
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Test alarms monthly.
- Replace batteries annually.
- Clean all detectors.
- Vacuum each grille.
In Homes With Small Children
- Lock the cabinets.
- Install safety gates.
- Check stairs.
- Medicines, knives, scissors, cosmetic tools, and matches should be kept out of children’s reach.
- Install padding on furniture with sharp edges.
- If you have a pool, fence it in.
#6: Double security into your home
As you do a safety check, secure your home by having smart locks. You’ll have less worry about leaving your doors unlocked. Smart locks let you lock and unlock your doors through remote access and voice control. It’s a keyless entry that won’t let robbers have access to your doorsteps.
Also, a security camera and video doorbell will do. It gives you more access to look into the security of your home. It warns robbers that an alarm and security system is in place.
#7: Keep your living space pleasant and uncluttered
- Put away the unnecessary items in your living room.
- Clean items in your living room where dirt and dust usually stick.
- Take some time to rearrange your furniture, move them in a different arrangement to create a better use of space.
- Give your living room a new look by changing your paint colours in your accent walls, match them with pillows, carpets, frames and other decorative displays.
- You can add indoor plants and air purifiers to have a fresh-smelling home.
#8: Create a cleaning schedule you'll stick to
Create a cleaning schedule, pick a day and mark your calendars with specific cleaning tasks you need to finish. Try the daily and weekly schedule like the example below:
- Fix your bed in the morning.
- Wash the dishes.
- Put the dirty clothes in the hamper.
- Bring everything back to its assigned place.
- Wipe your shower area after every bath.
- Do laundry
- Vacuum floors
- Wipe your windows
- Mow lawn and clean garage
For optimum efficiency, enlist every family member’s help to run your house smoothly. Assign age-appropriate tasks. In this way, you get to finish the cleaning in a few minutes. Communicate with your family, especially with your kids, to efficiently manage this new routine.
#9: Clean smart using valuable cleaning tools
Cleaning is made more comfortable when you have the rights tools with you. Ensure you have all the cleaning supplies you need and keep all of them in a large case, box or container that you can easily carry with you from room to room.
- Microfiber cloth, cleaning brushes, squeegee, rubber gloves, spray bottles, robot window cleaner and robot vacuums are some tools you can have to clean items and surfaces around your home.
- Wipe and dust small items using a microfiber cloth or feather duster. Always wear your rubber gloves for protection and spray cleaning solutions that are safe and appropriate to what you’re brushing or cleaning.
- Having a hard time reaching your windows? Use a robot window cleaner that’s easy to operate.
- Is cleaning your floors and furniture taking so much of your time and causing you body pains? Robot vacuums will do the task for you. All you need to do is set the speed and mode, and schedule it on days you want cleaning to get done. It can also purify your indoor air, leaving you with a fresh and clean smelling home.
“The ultimate luxury is being able to relax and enjoy your home.”
- Jeff Lincoln
You want to be strategic when you want to keep your new year’s resolutions, that’s why you really need the right techniques and tools to help you. Thousands of Australians love Roborock’s robot vacuums. Check out our most advanced robot vacuum today to experience less time cleaning and more time living!